Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Either / Or, or More?

As US citizens look at the upcoming election, we are told, over and over and over again, that there are only two choices: Trump or Clinton and that every other vote is simply throwing a vote away, because no one else has a chance of getting elected.

I'd like to challenge that thinking.

Before I do, let me say to all those who are committed to one candidate or the other, that these are my personal thoughts and I'm not trying to change your mind, so much as asking that you understand mine. Maybe you will change your mind, and I think that could be a good thing for you and me, and possibly our nation.

Secondly, you should not assume that if I restricted my vote to just one candidate that I'd vote for the same candidate you would. I have Christian friends (real ones, not just the Facebook kind) on both sides of this election, and I respect their positions. Which is to say, my inclination to vote for a third party candidate may not rob a vote from the candidate you support.

Beyond the Horns of the Dilemma

Many times, in the course of making decisions, one is faced with what appears to be an either/or type of decision. Often what appears to be an either/or decision actually is: a church either baptizes believers and their children, or it baptizes only believers; you are going to vacation at the beach or in the mountains. Sometimes an either/or decision really is as it appears.

Other times it's not. For example, one might be trying to decide between a pair of blue jeans or black jeans, and one decides to get both, or one might be trying to decide between buying a framing square or a tri-square, but what would work best for your project is a speed square (AKA "rafter square"). Perhaps its a friend or salesperson that helped you find an alternative you hadn't considered. Once you see the alternative the proverbial "light" goes on and you wonder why you hadn't thought of that before. In other words, sometimes the apparent dilemma is a false one - it's not really a dilemma ("di-" meaning two).

Yes, it's also true that people can give you bad advice, or suggest unacceptable alternatives, but that's not the point. The point is that sometimes it's helpful to consider alternatives you hadn't considered. Doing so does one of two things: 1) sets you on a new course, or 2) makes you more certain of the on you were already on.

Considering a Third Party Candidate

I haven't met anyone yet who fully endorses either of the two major party candidates. I'm sure they're out there, I just haven't met them. In my opinion, one appears to be a narcissistic bully and the other appears to be shifty and devious. Both promote policies and attitudes that are in my opinion, unchristian -- that is, policies that are opposed to the values and practices taught by Jesus. (Since I don't want to debate policies in this blog, I won't be more specific.)

Both the media (and I don't just mean the mainstream or liberal media) and historical consensus lead us to think that we really only have these two options before us. Many lament this fact, few deny it.

Because we assume that there are only two options between which we must choose, we have a crazy tendency to paint one completely black and the other a much lighter shade of gray. We've gone binary: one or zero, yes or no; either / or; A or B. There is no middle ground, no real alternative.

When I think this way, my thoughts are something like this: if I vote for one, it's like giving them the bullets to shoot 20 people, if I give it to the other, it's like giving them the bullets to shoot 20 other people. I don't want to give anyone bullets. This is not Nazi Germany; Sophie doesn't have to make this choice!

I posted on my Facebook feed that I'm pretty much convinced that if I'm to vote with a clear conscience, I'm going to have to vote for a third party candidate. Some expressed their appreciation for what I said, others tried to persuade me to vote for one of the two major party candidates. I think I've already included the main thrust of their arguments in this blog (although without the specifics).

We live in a nation where I actually am free to vote for whomever I want. That's an awesome privilege! It means that if I don't want to vote for either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton I don't have to. Neither do you.

Is Voting 3rd Party "Throwing Away My Vote?"

This is the most common response I hear when I suggest voting for a 3rd party candidate: "You're just throwing away your vote." What is meant is that by voting for someone who has practically no chance of being elected, I'm wasting a vote that should be given to someone who does have a chance.

Really?

In one sense, in the short term (that is, for this election) that may be true. I don't think it is, but it might be. In my state, one candidate is so far ahead of the other in the polls that whether I did or didn't vote for this candidate, it would not affect the outcome at all. It's a remote possibility that if a huge block of those supporting the other candidate voted, and the others became complacent, the outcome might be different, and if I voted with them my vote would "count" (assuming I'd prefer and would vote for that candidate), or that by voting for the one now in the lead, my vote would "count" in securing that person's election (assuming I'd prefer and would vote for that candidate).

If this election were a nationwide popular election, the value of my vote would be qualitatively different, though current polls show a wide enough disparity that, unless something changes dramatically, the outcome is pretty much decided already in that scenario too.

If the outcome is pretty much decided--as seems to be the case according to all the polls I've looked at--I'm either unnecessarily endorsing one candidate I don't like, or throwing away my vote on another candidate I don't like. In effect, my vote doesn't seem to "count" no matter how I vote. (I'm not trying to be cynical, I'm trying to be realistic.)

If my vote for either of the two parties will not in anyway influence the election by any practical measurement of cause and effect, then why not vote for someone I can at least, in good conscience, support?

Looking Beyond the Immediate Present

In the polarization of the parties, we have seen a paralysis in Washington. We can hardly pass a budget or a meaningful measure. No matter what one side proposes, the other opposes it - not because of the merits of the proposal, but because it came from the other side. This is perhaps an exaggeration of the problem, but the problem is real. It seems to have become more important to each party to have and keep its power, than to do what's best for the nation.

This election is about much more than what will happen on November 8th. It's about more than what will happen in the next 4 years. Unless something changes dramatically, we could end up with a similar "Sophie's choice" 4 years from now!

I've come to the conclusion that the only way for my vote to "count" is to put it toward an alternative party. If enough people did that, a rather strong message would be sent to the two major parties that they have lost the right to be the voice for the American people. I don't even think it matters that much which party (though I'd encourage Christians to look for parties that represent the full spectrum of Christian values!).

Beyond the Politics of Power

One of the most disturbing things I hear and read is how many Christians are deciding how to vote based on the politics of power.

What is supposed to drive Christian ethics and morality is 1) love of God above all and 2) love of neighbor. You can ask Jesus, if you like, "And just who is my neighbor?" (his answer is in Luke 10:30-37).

The politics of power emphasizes rights. It seeks to protect one's own interests without regard to the interests of others. It seeks control and sovereignty over compassion and sodality. It prefers to win, rather than compromise. Engaging in the politics of power is exactly what Jesus told us not to do (Matthew 20:25-28). The politics of power led to the corruption of the Sanhedrin in Jesus' day, and ultimately to his crucifixion (John 11:47-50) - they were afraid Jesus would ultimately take away their place of power and influence, opening the door for Roman power to overwhelm them.

And whether it's the #neverTrump movement or the #neverHillary movement, both are using the tactics of power and manipulation to try to persuade the not yet persuaded, and entrench the already persuaded in their solidarity against the enemy. The viciousness of the attacks are are only surpassed by the sanctimonious language the attacks are couched in. Even believers engage in this kind of character assassination--and justify it to each other! It's appalling!

Remind me, which one of the two is not in the image of God?

The politics of power is always based on fear. Let's be clear about that, and about what we're afraid of. Fear can drive us to do things that are directly opposed to what we believe (or say we do). Fear can drive us to do what is irrational, and for Christians what is unchristian. Fear can drive us to make a deal with the devil, but remember: the devil always structures those deals so that he wins.

Turning away from the politics of power, I can do the thing others think won't matter, or is a waste of time (or a vote), simply because it's the right thing to do. If God really is in charge, I can do what I believe is the right thing to do and not be afraid at all about the consequences.

What's At Stake 

There's a lot at stake in this election: the Supreme Court, relations with Mexico, ISIS and responding to radical Islam, Abortion, the health care crisis, the tax system, the place of the US in the world, etc., etc.

What's also at stake is my (and your) personal integrity. The transforming message of the Gospel - particularly the teaching of love as a central driving force for Christian speech and behavior.

Yes, there's a lot at stake in this election. Let's make sure we take a complete inventory.


Which 3rd Party?

I can't say yet which party I'm would vote for. I'm still looking at options and considering what I'll do. I'm very attracted to the platform of the Solidarity Party, though they seem to be a very, very tiny party with almost no hope of having any influence for quite some time. I'm not happy with the Libertarian Party, or the Green Party. But I'm also taking a  look, at the Constitution Party, and the Reform Party, and there may be others worth considering too.

I really don't know. Looks like an adventure.

What it Comes Down To

As Christians we do all sorts of things that don't seem to make sense to those who aren't (yet) Christians. Let's face it, we have a different value system than the world outside of Christianity has.

I think that this means that we need to opt out of systems that require us to compromise those Christian values in order to participate in that system. This year, I'm convinced that the two-party system is doing precisely this. If, between the two major party candidates, I find no one to vote for, if I can support neither, if the most I can do is choose between the lesser of two evils, I'll choose neither evil and find someone I can vote for.

But I'm only talking about how I'm dealing with things as I see them.

You may have some argument against some or all of these points. I've probably heard them already, but before you make them, I hope you understand my position before arguing with it.

I trust you will vote based on what you believe is best and most clearly represents your responsibility before God. If we disagree, that's okay. We can still be brothers and sisters in the family of God. Right?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thoughtfulness, Rich. In the interests of pedantry (or perhaps a desire to be even more accurate), although you write: "I'd encourage Christians to look for parties that represent the full spectrum of Christian values, perhaps it would be more accurate to say:

    "I'd encourage Christians to look for parties that represent more fully the spectrum of Christian values,"

    ...simply on the grounds that it's unlikely that one will ever find a single party that fully represents the full spectrum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul. What I meant to suggest is that we Christians think about a fuller spectrum of Christian values than personal morality and our religious freedom. Care for the poor, justice for the oppressed, etc., are also Christian values.
      Perhaps a better edit might be "I'd encourage Christians to look for parties that represent more fully the entire spectrum of Christian values."
      I'll consider the change.

      Delete
  2. Love your input as I too am looking at the "other" parties. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete